So I’d like to start a series of posts about my favorite animes/mangas. To that end I’ll start with my very favorite anime: One Piece. Here’s a link to the story arc plot synopses. Why is One Piece so good? Here’s a partial list:
- Long running – This anime has been going for almost 20 years and that causes problems for some anime but One Piece is still going strong keeping me invested and wanting more.
- Likable Characters – All of the main characters (straw hats) are likable while retaining their unique personalities. In addition, the side characters are often really well developed. They all have motivations anyone young or old can understand while still being interesting and fun. (Stay tuned for further discussion of One Piece characters.)
- Great Execution of Shonen Style – One Piece has a very standard Shonen plot style. Sometimes in the shonen style of anime the plot starts to get boring and repetitive. Not in One Piece. They consistently keep it fresh and interesting by highlighting side characters that are well developed.
- Devil’s Fruit – Most fantasy animes will have their own system of magic and One Piece’s is just amazing. It allows for almost unlimited creativity in creating new powers and characters.
- Other Reasons as Well – This is by no means an exhaustive list as to why I love this anime. I’m sure I could make a hundred point list if I went into the specifics of how cool the plot is but in the interest of brevity I’ll leave it hear.
People often ask me for anime recommendations and I tell them if you haven’t seen One Piece start watching it. However sometimes it is difficult to get into it because it starts off pretty slow and has the problem many animes have with excessive flashbacks. I would say that if you can power through to episode 91 you’ll be hooked.